Sugar Free Strawberry Chia Seed Freezer Jam

So my mom gave me these beauties. 

They were the last of the strawberries and so they were over ripe and starting to go bad. So I decided to make freezer jam. 
So I cut off the bad parts and threw away the yucky ones. 
So it was time to add the small amount of sugar (I try to use as little sugar as possible). Unfortunately when I opened the cupboard, to my surprise the sugar container was empty. HMMMMM. What do you do? I have honey that will work. Oh wait! I have Stevia. 
So I added a touch of Stevia. For the amount of strawberries I had I probably added about 1/2 a tsp. of pure stevia. Go here to learn more about stevia and what you should buy. 
Then I went to get the pectin. Hmmmmm. Where did the pectin go? I looked around for a while and I still can't find it. I know I have some it's just missing. I really don't want to go to the store to get pectin. So what do I have that might work as pectin? I know apples work but I don't have any. I have gelatin. That might be a little weird. 
I have chia seeds! They make a natural gel when they sit. PERFECT. 
At this point I am feeling pretty creative and proud of myself. 
So I add about 1/8 cup of chia seeds to my strawberries and stir. 
I turned it onto medium high heat until it started to boil and then turned it down to low for about 10 minutes. At this point it was super runny but I know that chia seeds need to sit for a while to thicken. 
I allowed it to cool to room temperature and then I transferred it to freezer containers. I let it sit in the fridge for about 4 hours. 
Now, I don't like super thick jam. I like it more runny and syrupy than thick. This jam was perfect for me. If you want it to be thicker simply add more chia seeds. 
My husband tasted it and he had no idea I didn't use pectin or sugar. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a Mom to 7 in the wonderful state of Kentucky. The love of my life and I own our little homestead with big dreams. I am a musician currently getting my certification in Music Therapy. We both have full time jobs and a busy life that has gotten in the way of life lately. We are on a mission to reclaim life and get back into being young again.
01 09 10